Lately, I have been seeing a lot of blogs, Instagram posts, and tweets saying, “the magic happens outside of your comfort zone.”
Being as how I am not a great believer in coincidences, I think the Universe is trying to tell me something. Hint, hint, wink, wink, nod, Rachel… “HELLO???!!!!!” And it got me thinking, “How can I get out of my den of safety and shake things up a bit?”
I know I am not alone in this, most of us “play it safe” in one area of our life or another, however if we want to achieve the goals we have created for ourselves sometimes we must take a trip into the unknown territory just outside of our comfort zone. We can find a variety of reasons (aka excuses) to stay huddled in our safe place.
Think about some of your goals. Which ones are dancing just outside of your grasp because you won’t cross the threshold to the discomfort zone?
Here are a few examples:
- “I want to lose weight, but…
- I can’t give up bread, chocolate, wine…
- I don’t have time to exercise.
- I never keep it off anyhow, so why bother.
- I want to get a new job, but…
- I don’t have the right skills.
- I can’t afford to go back to school.
- I need to make money to pay my bills, I can’t change jobs now.
- I want to write a novel, but…
- I don’t have time to write.
- I don’t know how to get it published.
- What if it gets panned by critics?
Do any of these sound familiar?
In looking at my own goals, I found a ton of excuses to stay in my cozy little safe zone. As a result, I came up with a little game to help myself break out of my complacency and start moving in the direction of successfully reaching my goals.
The first thing I did was pick a goal where I was playing it safe:
Sell 500 copies of, Cooking with Your Canine.
Admittedly, I picked a goal that was not too scary to start out with, so “yes”, I played it safe not playing it safe.
Next, I thought of 3 actions I could take outside of my comfort zone that would help me on my quest:
- Talk to a local store about carrying my book.
- Send a press release to local media outlets including newspapers and news shows.
- Ask friends and clients to help promote the book.
Finally, I acted on each action over the course of 3 days:
- Day 1, I asked 3 friends to post a link to the book on their social media accounts.
- One person did. Not a great success, but success none the less.
- Day 2, I requested a press release be written through a vendor on Fiverr.
- I should have the release in 1-2 days. That’s one baby step outside the comfort zone.
- Day 3, I spoke with the manager of a local store about selling my book.
- He said, “they were not interested at this time, but to check back in the fall”. Yep, a little bit of a failure, but I still achieved the goal of getting out of my comfort zone, so I’m calling that part of it a win!
Surprise, surprise!!! I stepped out of my comfort zone and nothing terrible happened!!! The overall results of this “trip” remain to be seen, but at least I proved to myself and the Universe that I am willing to make the effort to be a little uncomfortable.
Now it’s your turn. Which of your goals are you not achieving because you are making excuses to stay safe? Pick one and create 2-3 actions that exist outside of your comfort zone to help support the goal. You don’t have to take big leaps of faith right away, try something as simple as making a phone call to a potential client, cutting back on your “favorite” food for a few days, or saying, “good morning” to a stranger. Once you have thought of your actions put them on your “To Do” list right away and get them done!
For me, this game was a little scary and it will probably be scary for you as well. That’s a good thing!!!! It means you are committed to working outside your comfort zone and allowing the magic of life to flow to you!
Until next time, have a happy, healthy day!